Teeth cleaning at the dentist: before and after the procedure
Professional teeth cleaning is a method of cleaning enamel, gingival area, and periodontal pockets from plaque and tartar using a curette, ultrasonic scaler, and laser. Professional, hygienic cleaning allows cleaning the enamel layer entirely and getting rid of stains. After just one procedure, you can lighten your teeth color by 1-3 shades.
The importance of the cleaning procedure lies in good oral hygiene. Plaque causes periodontitis, gingivitis, and other diseases of the oral cavity. Mandatory hygienic cleaning is included in the program of complex therapy for periodontal disease.
Why Choose Professional Cleaning
Professionals with vast experience carry out teeth cleaning in Kyiv in the clinic of Aesthetic Dentistry. The clinic is equipped with the necessary equipment, laboratories, and the latest diagnostics equipment.
The benefits of professional cleaning can hardly be overestimated. It is impossible at home to achieve excellent treatment results, even with the use of modern devices: electric brushes and irrigators. Plaque accumulates in the interdental spaces, at the base of the teeth, along the gingival margin, and is difficult to remove at home. After a professional cleaning, the enamel remains clean for up to 3-6 months. The enamel’s polished surface does not allow plaque to stick to the teeth, which is why it is recommended to carry out hygienic cleaning at least 2-3 times a year to prevent periodontitis and its complications.
Professional cleaning is required if:
- a patient undergoes complex periodontitis treatment;
- there is a desire to improve the appearance of teeth;
- the final stage of complex treatment is needed.
Dental cleaning is necessary after oral cavity sanitation, before implantation, and prosthetics. Professional hygiene is required in case of darkening of the enamel due to smoking and alcohol consumption to simplify the process of applying a filling. The procedure is recommended for persons susceptible to inflammatory gum diseases, cardiovascular pathologies, and organ failure.
Due to regular hygienic cleaning, the problem of many pathological processes affecting the oral cavity is solved. Considering that plaque on the teeth is a pathogenic microflora source, the bacterial film destroys the teeth. It leads to infectious and inflammatory diseases of the gums, mucous membranes of the oral cavity, the digestive tract (when bacteria penetrate the stomach and intestines with saliva). With already existing diseases of the intestinal tract, this risk increases significantly.
Professional cleaning is an integral part of dental care for braces, prostheses, microprostheses (veneers, lumineers), crowns. The procedure is easily tolerated and does not require anesthesia, except in individual hypersensitivity of the enamel and gums.
How to Remove Plaque
You can remove plaque in a dental clinic considering the following options:
- Mechanical cleaning. A complicated removal method that most often complements any other plaque cleaning method. However, mechanical plaque removal with a curette and stiff brushes is typical for young children’s treatment.
- Airflow treatment. The method involves cleaning through a special nozzle that supplies a mixture of water, abrasive components, and compressed air under pressure. The solution gently breaks down plaque and removes deposits from enamel. During the procedure, the doctor can adjust the jet’s pressure, so the risk of injury is reduced.
- Ultrasonic cleaning. High-frequency waves break away plaque and tartar, removing them gently. The delicate separation of plaque from the tooth enamel is painless and does not injure the tooth’s surface layer.
The cleaning method’s choice depends on the tooth enamel’s condition, the degree of contamination, and accompanying oral cavity diseases. In the Clinic of Aesthetic Dentistry, all whitening methods are practiced, but the Airflow method is most commonly used.
Can Children Have Professional Teeth Cleaning Done?
Children of pre-school and school-age are recommended to use an electric brush and special toothpaste. Cleaning can also be done at home. Parents’ task is to early form a habit of oral hygiene, understand the need for daily cleaning of teeth and gums, and preserve the integrity of the enamel. The statistics of tooth decay in children are disappointing; today, every second child has problems with teeth, gums, and occlusion starting from primary teeth eruption.
Treatment of Tooth Discoloration Before and After
Professional teeth cleaning helps to solve the problem of discoloration and enamel dullness. Pigmentation or discoloration is a pathological change in the enamel’s color as a result of external or internal factors. As a result of pathology, the enamel layer can acquire a reddish, pink, yellow, brown, and gray tint. Stripes and microcracks are often formed on the teeth.
The nature of discoloration is due to external or internal causes. The latter is difficult to correct without treatment of the underlying condition. The discoloration is treated with several methods:
- Full mouth debridement. Treatment of tooth decay, periodontitis, gingivitis, and other diseases of the teeth and gums.
- Teeth whitening. In the dental clinic, external or internal cleaning methods can be used. For deep discoloration, hydrogen peroxide can be used with a laser or light beam. If the discoloration is caused by traumatic periodontitis, one visit is enough. In other cases, it is necessary to use combined methods of enamel whitening.
Weak enamel resistance prohibits the use of bleaching. In this case, restoration with veneers, crowns, or microprosthetics is indicated. Classical whitening is almost impossible when it goes about antibiotic therapy, deterioration of retention pins, amalgams. The tooth hyperpigmentation prognosis depends entirely on the nature of the enamel discoloration.
Conclusion: Benefits of Dental Cleaning
There are many benefits of professional dental cleaning:
- Removal of plaque, hard-mineral deposit, tartar both subgingival and supragingival. Several handpieces are used for ultrasonic cleaning: a short one for removing multi-layer plaque, an elongated and thin one for cleaning periodontal pockets.
- Bactericidal effect. Ultrasonic and laser cleaning have a pronounced antibacterial effect. Ultrasound cleans teeth due to the effect of cavitation, and the supply of liquid washes away the remnants of even old deposits from the enamel.
- Accessibility and comfort. Patients easily tolerate the procedure for tooth enamel professional cleaning. In case of the enamel and gums’ sensitivity, local anesthesia (injections, Lidocaine-containing gels) can be used.
- The cost of professional teeth cleaning varies from UAH 800 to 2000 per procedure. If additional treatment is required, the price of dental services may increase. Despite this, many can afford the services of professional dentistry in Kyiv.
Professional teeth cleaning is an essential stage of hygienic dental care for patients aged 18-20 years. The doctor chooses the cleansing method based on the dental history data, examining the oral cavity after studying the enamel features. Cleaning allows not only to remove plaque but also to brighten the enamel by almost three tones. By choosing professional, hygienic care as maintaining the cleanliness of the oral cavity, our patients receive healthy and high-quality prevention of periodontitis and its complications.